Marinate the fish:
- 2 big fillets of tilapia (or 3 smaller ones)
- splash of olive oil
- splash of tequila
- a drizzle of agave syrup
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- zest of 1 lime (you’ll use the juice later)
- a few pinches of chile powder
- salt & pepper
- ½ a red onion, thinly sliced
- splash of rice vinegar
- a few pinches of salt
- 6 corn or flour tortillas, grilled
- creme fraiche, sour cream, or (my personal choice this time), kewpie mayo
- avocado slices
- shredded cabbage, seasoned with a little salt & lime juice
- extra lime slices
- Whisk the fish marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl. Coat the fish and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice your red onion. Blanch the slices in boiling water for 30 seconds and chill them immediately in ice water. Drain and toss them with the rice vinegar and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Longer the better, you can also make them ahead and store in the fridge for at least a few days)
- Remove fish from the fridge. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook the fish 3-4 minutes per side, or until it’s done and flaky. Squeeze a few big squeezes of lime juice on it just before you take it out of your pan. Let fish cool slightly, and flake it into smaller pieces.
- Grill tortillas (or char them slightly over a gas flame).
- Assemble tacos with the fish, a dollop of cream (of your choice), avocado slices, sriracha, shredded cabbage, cilantro, and serve with extra lime slices.