For the fry bread dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- vegetable oil, for frying
Toppings (all toppings are optional and as much or as little can be used, depending on what you want):
- 6 to 8 eggs (scrambled or fried)
- bacon, cooked
- sausage, crisped and crumbled
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and browned
- avocado, sliced
- tomatoes, diced
- cheese (queso fresco), crumbled
- scallions, sliced
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- salsa (recipe follows)
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until completely combined. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the warm water. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a few minutes until the dough is somewhat smooth. Place back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
2. Heat the oil in a pot or a skillet with high sides, until very hot. Portion out the dough into golf ball sized balls—you should get about 8 to 10 balls—and then roll out on a lightly floured work surface, until very thin. Poke a hole in the center of the dough to allow steam to escape while frying. Fry the dough rounds, one at a time, for about 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough until they are all fried. Keep the fry breads warm in the oven set at 250°F.
3. To assemble the tacos, top with eggs cooked the way you like it. Over easy, sunny side up, over hard or scrambled. Add browned potatoes, cooked bacon or crumbled sausage. Garnish with your choice of diced tomatoes, cheese, avocado, scallions, sour cream, beans, hot sauce or homemade salsa (recipe follows). Serve warm. The extra fry breads can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or food storage bag and rewarmed in the oven when ready to use. You can also freeze the fried fry breads and rewarm later on. Make the toppings and assemble the tacos when you are ready to eat. Enjoy!