For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Beer-Battered Tofu:
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup canola oil (or another neutral flavor high heat vegetable oil)
- 4 to 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
To Make the Mango Salsa:
- Toss all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
To Make the Beer-Battered Tofu:
- Slice the tofu block into 4 slabs, width-wise. Then turn each slab on its side, and slice each one into 4 thin strips. You should end up with 16 strips that are between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick.
- Whisk the flour, ale and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Very generously coat the inside of a large flat-bottomed skillet with oil. The oil should be at least 1/8-inch deep. Place the skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, dip the tofu strips into the batter to coat all sides, then arrange the tofu in the skillet, leaving at least 1-inch between strips. Cook until the tofu is browned and crispy on the bottom, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook until browned and crispy on the opposite side, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat until all of the tofu strips are cooked, adding oil to the skillet as needed between batches.
To Make the Tacos:
- Place 3 or 4 tofu strips in the center of each tortilla. Top with avocado slices and salsa.