- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds red snapper fillets
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Spray cooking oil
- 4 limes, quartered, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil, in 3 packages of 4 tortillas each, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Prepare enough coals for a hot charcoal fire, or preheat your gas grill on high for 10 minutes with the lid closed.
While the grill is heating up, season the tops of the snapper fillets with the chili powder, paprika, oregano, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Place the tortilla packages in the oven and set it at 250°F (120°C).
- When the coals are ready or the gas grill is hot, liberally spray the skin side of each snapper fillet with cooking oil. Place on the grate, skin side down, and grill for 4 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and a crust has formed. Spray the top of each fillet with more cooking oil and gently turn them over. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes more, until the center is just cooked through.
- Transfer the snapper fillets to a cutting board, and cut them into quarters. Put on a serving table with the warm tortillas, onion-cilantro mixture, quartered limes, and hot sauce, and let people assemble their own tacos.