BBQ Eggplant Tacos
June 25, 2017
- Tortillas of choice (I like La Tortilla Factory)
- 2 eggplants (I used 1 and it was just enough for me)
- olive oil
- your favorite BBQ sauce
For the Peach-Lime Chutney
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime, with peel, finely diced
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced ginger
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and finely diced
- 2 peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
For the Fennel Slaw
- 1 head fennel, shaved on mandoline
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- juice from 1/2 lemon
To make the BBQ eggplant
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Generously oil a rimmed baking sheet and place eggplants cut side down in olive oil.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Remove skin from eggplant and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Lightly tear apart the flesh and then smother it with BBQ sauce, massaging in the BBQ sauce so every bit of eggplant is covered.
- Place back in oven for 20 additional minutes.
To make the Peach-Lime Chutney
- Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the lime and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the lime and set aside (you may want to give it some more chopping action at this time).
- Heat up the vinegar and sugar in a medium skillet until the sugar has dissolved and it takes on a bit of a syrupy consistency.
- Add the ginger and jalapeño and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the peaches, pepper, and lime.
- Saute for additional ~7 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and allow to cool.
To make the fennel slaw
- Toss the fennel with the remaining ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm up your tortillas either in a skillet or quickly in the microwave.
- Spoon in the BBQ eggplant and top with the chutney and slaw.