Jalapeno Peach Coleslaw
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- ½ a red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup diced peaches (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon liquid from pickled jalapenos
- 1 (16-ounce) catfish filet
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 4 small flour or corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro, optional
- To make coleslaw, combine both cabbages, red onion, pickled jalapenos , and peaches in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and pickled jalapeno liquid. Add to cabbage mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.
- In a pie pan or a shallow dish, combine flour, cornmeal, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Cut catfish into 1-inch strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip in buttermilk mixture and then coat in cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1 inch of oil over medium heat in a cast iron pan.
- Cook catfish until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Warm the tortillas either in the microwave or in a pan over low heat.
- Place a couple of catfish strips on each tortilla and top with slaw and cilantro.