- 8 small tortillas, corn or flour (around 6″ / 12 cm rounds)
- 3 cups shredded Pork Carnitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups grated cheese (I used Monterey Jack. See Note 1 for other suggestions)
- 1¼ cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned (drained) (I used frozen)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, diced (or 2 medium tomatos, deseeded and diced, around 1½ cups (Note 2))
- 2 shallots / scallions, green part only, sliced
- ½ lime, juice only (add more or less to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish and toppings
- Sour cream
- Cilantro / coriander
- Jalapeños, finely chopped
- Avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Prepare either the Pork Carnitas
- Place the corn tortillas in the oven (I do it directly on the shelf) and bake for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, just to make them a bit stiff but not browned.
- Place a tortilla on a baking tray. Scatter ⅙th of the Pork Carnitas on the tortilla and top with Salsa (reserve some for Topping) then cheese. Place another tortilla on top and repeat, then again (so you end up with 3 layers of meat. Place the 4th tortilla on top. I don’t put anything on it, but you could sprinkle some cheese if you want.
- Repeat with remaining 4 tortillas.
- Bake for 10 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted (it does not take long).
- Remove from oven.
- Top with remaining Salsa and Toppings of choice (I used sour cream, avocado, jalapeño and coriander/cilantro)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the corn and sauté for a couple of minutes until charred to your liking. (This step is optional)
- Allow to cool slightly, then toss with remaining Salsa ingredients.
- Defrost (if using frozen), then heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large fry pan over high heat.
- Add Pork Carnitas and cooking until the underside is golden brown (do not flip – Note 4).
- Remove from pan (scrape up all the brown bits) and set aside.