- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomatillo, husk removed, rinsed, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- One (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chipotles plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- Warm corn tortillas, diced white onion, avocado chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, crumbled cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken thighs and cook until well browned, about 6 minutes. Flip thighs and continue to cook until other side is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, leaving fat in pan, and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the same Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have browned around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add tomatillo and cook until browned around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add oregano and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chipotle, and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour sauce back into pan, stir in chicken stock and bay leaf, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Nestle chicken thighs in sauce, reduce to a simmer, and cook until chicken is fully cooked and easily shredded. Transfer chicken to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove sauce from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Pull chicken meat into strips. Stir chicken into sauce and cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
- Spoon chicken into warm tortillas and top with avocado, onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Serve with lime wedges.