- 1 lb Ahi or Yellow Fin Tuna
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tsp salt divided
- Canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas (flour tortillas and store bought corn taco shells with also work)
- 1 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 ½ tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon sirracha sauce (or more if you like it extra spicy)
- 1 ½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 avocado sliced
To Make Slaw: Combine cabbage, carrot, cilantro, mayo, sirracha, vinegar, and ½ tsp of salt. Mix until all the cabbage and carrots are coated. Set aside.
To Make Tuna: Coat both sides of tuna filets evenly with salt and sesame seeds. Heat sauté pan to a medium high heat. Coat the bottom of pan in enough oil to cover, about two to three tablespoons. Sear tuna on both sides about 2 minutes per side for rare. Let rest for a few minutes. Slice tuna against the grain.
To make taco shells: Heat about one inch of oil in a deep sauce pan to a medium high heat. To test temperature, put the end of a wooden spoon in the oil, if bubbles form around the spoon, the oil is ready. Drop tortilla in hot oil, form into a taco shell with your tongs. Fry until crisp about 1 minute.
Assemble: Place two pieces of tuna into taco shells. Top with avocado and slaw. Garnish with cilantro. I also like to garnish with a little bit of Mexican crema but sour cream will also do.