- 3½ pounds pork loin or pork butt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef stock, divided
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 2 cups chopped cuties, tangerines or oranges
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 package corn tortillas
- Cilantro for garnish
- Queso Fresco for garnish
- Lime Juice
- For Pork: Cut pork into larger bite size pieces. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large dutch oven or sauté pan to a medium-high heat, add half of oil. Brown half of the pork, until crisp and brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining oil and pork.
- Transfer pork to the slow-cooker and cover with pomegranate juice, beef stock, onion, garlic and worcestershire
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours until meat is almost falling apart, but still holds its shape:
- For the Salsa: Combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside or chill.
- For the Onions. Place onions in a heat proof bowl. Bring apple cider vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour over onions, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Set aside or chill.
- Assembly: Char tortilla on a gas range or in a dry skillet.
- Place a little bit of pork on tortilla, along with a scoop of salsa, a and little bit of pickled onion. Sprinkle with cheese, cilantro and lime juice to finish.