BARBACOA BEEF TACOS
April 10, 2015
- 2½ – 3 pounds chunk roast with fat trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces (or a bottom round roast)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-4 chipotle peppers (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- ½ cup beef broth
- 4 teaspoon cumin
- 2½ teaspoons Mexican oregano (regular is fine too)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- In a blender, blend together the apple cider vinegar, garlic, chipotle peppers, lime juice, beef broth, cumin, oregano, cloves, tomato paste, oil, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In the slow cooker, add the beef, bay leaves, and sliced onions. Add the sauce from step one. Toss to combine. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours or on the high setting for 3-4 hours or until the beef is tender and is falling apart easily when shredded with two forks.
- Discard the bay leaves. Use two forks to shred the beef into pieces. Toss the beef in the juices, cover and allow the barbacoa beef to sit and soak up the juice for another 10-15 minutes. Serve over tacos, burritos, nachos, burrito rice bowls, or however you please.