Fried Avocado Tacos
April 29, 2017
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon plus extra pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large avocados
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo
- 8 flour tortillas
- Cotija cheese for topping
- Canola oil for frying
- To make the cream sauce, place the poblano pepper, cilantro, yogurt, lime juice and salt into a food processor. Blend until the consistency is smooth. Set aside.
- Pour the canola oil into a Dutch oven or frying pan about 1 inch deep. Insert a thermometer, and heat to 350 degrees F.
- In a small pot, add the beans, and let them cook on low for 10 minutes.
- To make the batter, in a bowl, combine the flour, buttermilk, salt and chili powder. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Cut the avocados in half, and peel off the skins. Slice the avocados into thin pieces lengthwise, and then drop them into the batter to coat. Add them to the hot oil, and let them cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the fried avocados, and place them on a paper towel to dry.
- Heat up the tortillas, and slather refried beans onto one side. Top with 3 to 4 avocado slices, cream sauce, pico de gallo and Cotija cheese