ANCHO CHICKEN TACOS
September 6, 2017
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour (all purpose also works)
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon southwestern or taco seasoning
- a generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 small corn tortillas
- a few green cabbage leaves, shredded
- one bunch cilantro, chopped
- toppings: lime wedges, sour cream, jalapeño slices, avocado slices, minced green or red onions
- Toss the cabbage and cilantro together. Prep the other toppings.
- Combine the flour, ancho chili powder, southwestern seasoning, and salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- In a heavy duty pan, heat the oil to medium high heat. Cut the chicken breasts in half or quarters, toss in the flour mixture, and add to the pan. Cook for a few minutes; flip, and cook for another few minutes until the outside is browned and the inside is no longer pink. Remove from heat, sprinkle with a little more salt, and allow to rest for a few minutes. Cut or shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Warm tortillas (I just microwave for a 20 seconds or so) and assemble with the chicken and toppings. Be generous with the lime juice and jalapeños for extra zing!